Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Meme Smeme | Main | Rhubarb Custard Bars »

Triumphant Return

My only excuse for not posting in so long is illness. I had an allergic reaction to I think bath soap. I took a bath Sunday night and by Tuesday I was most unhappy. On Wednesday I saw my PCP and she hooked me up with a nice pack of steroids. Meanwhile Harper's cold took on a life of its own and by Wednesday he was running a 102.5 fever. I had a trip to western Mass for a board meeting so Jeff had planned on working from home on Thursday anyway. Harper was not better by Friday. My meeting wrapped up around 12 and I went for lunch at a Moroccan cafe before heading home (gotta get the good stuff where I can). The first appointment I could get with a pediatrician was 4:30 which coincided perfectly with my two hour drive. Harper ended up being diagnosed with an ear infection so we got him started on antibiotics. He also had a terrible cold and kept gagging and throwing up entire bottles all over Jeff and I. Saturday was actually a pretty good day because Harper finally figured out how to take a nap for longer than 30 minutes. He had gotten up that morning and would not go back to sleep unless I held him. So I sat in a chair for 2 1/2 hours until Jeff woke up and found us. Keegan got a haircut and told me I could wait for him in the sitting area (because he is all grown up now). Then he showed up with a green gel "faux hawk." That kid is gutsy. Sunday was mostly indoors because we got a nice dumping of snow. Harper continued to improve but still not eat any solid food and very little in the way of bottles. And we have to hold him down to get the antibiotic in him. I don't blame him because that stuff smells horrible. Today both boys were off and amazingly this is actually a paid holiday for me. I had hoped to get out and get some things for Keegan's party next Saturday but Harper took marathon naps and I didn't want to disturb him. Keegan watched AI with me while I folded laundry and I had to explain to him the judges aren't being mean by saying "no." Even that kid can tell if those people can sing or not. He also helped cook Rhubarb Custard Bars with rhubarb from our garden that I froze this summer. He loved using the pastry blender for the crust and also the little hand mixer for the topping. I learned the hard way that it is impossible to cut frozen rhubarb. But holy mackerel those bars are awesome. Remind me of dessert at school in England where we had rhubarb crisp with custard on top. I have been craving that for thirty years. Two really good recipes for dinner last night and tonight:
Stir-Fried Shrimp with Spicy Orange Sauce
Asparagus-and-Ham Casserole

TrackBack for this entry: