Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« 36 And A Half Weeks | Main | 37 Weeks »

Worry Beads
Thanks to the oral antihistamines I slept through last night.  They make me feel dopey during the day but it is worth not to be completely exhausted.  Along with my appointment yesterday my midwife wanted me to have another ultrasound to check my fluid levels.  If my levels were down they would put me on bed rest.  Having PUPPP was probably one of the contributing factors to my problem last time.  They could not see me until 4pm so I went back to work instead of taking her advice to dope myself up and sleep.  I also took the opportunity to continue to take care of tasks before the baby is born.  I scheduled a tour of the hospital and finally switched Keegan's pediatrician to up here.  This will save me time and mileage just because I was sentimental about taking him to the place he had been going since he was born.  The baby will eventually go to the same new doctor up here as well.

Just as I was leaving work to head for the ultrasound I got a call from Keegan's school.  He had gotten bored during nap time and decided to shove a bead up his nose.  That's right, a bead.  He has never done anything like this before.  They said he appeared fine physically but was very distraught about where the bead would go from here.  I said I was glad he was distraught because now maybe he wouldn't shove things in his nose.  Then I got to make my first call to the new pediatrician a mere two hours after we became patients.  They said a nurse would call me back.  Which happened but cell phones are blocked in radiology so I had to wait until my ultrasound was over before finding out what to do.  My fluids levels were actually better than the last time.  And I told the tech not to be surprised to see the baby was breech.  I was the one surprised.  He had flipped and was head down!  I left there and consulted with the midwives office.  We decided to keep the procedure appointment for next week just in case and we will check the baby's position on Friday.  This kid is some kind of magician.  At this point we are cautiously optimistic that he will stay head down and everything else will go smoothly.

Back to the bead.  The pediatrician said I needed to get Keegan to put his head forward, hold his beadless nostril and have him blow his other nostril really hard.  If this did not work after several tries I had to take him to the ER where they have the right kind of instruments to remove the bead.  When I got to school there was the bead wrapped in a tissue.  Keegan was quite proud of having gotten it out himself.  I was thrilled to save a $50 co-pay and an evening in the ER.  After a day like that I didn't want to cook.  Jeff was out with the guys.  So Keegan and I went to the walk up window place down the street.  He had a hot dog and I had the taco special; 2 tacos, a coke, chips and a soft serve for :$4.50.  Keegan got my chips and ice cream.  I got to sit still and relax.
TrackBack for this entry: