Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Keep The Old | Main | I Also Love Marmalade »

On Sunday night when I was getting Keegan ready for his bath I pulled up his shirt and saw a very angry, large rash all over his torso and down his back.  All kinds of scenarios went through my mind.  I called the doctors' office and gave him his bath waiting for them to call back.  Jeff searched the internet and we ruled things out along the way.  The office called back and also ruled out other viruses.  He has had a cough for over a week that I was actually going to call about but no other symptoms.  So we put him to bed and figured we would regroup in the morning.  He woke up around 3am and called for me and I went to help him and realized that the rash was completely gone.  Not a trace of it.
I had him sleep in and went he got up it was still gone.  I checked with the doctor's and they said it was okay to bring him to school.  I dropped him at school because it was school picture day and then went to do errands because I had an appt at 1pm and there was no point in going into the work.  A couple of hours later school called and his rash was back this time on his face and neck.  They said they wanted to give him lunch and have him take his nap and I could pick him up afterwards.  I couldn't get him seen until last night at 6:30.  It turns out the rash was benign and more an indicator of a primary problem.  His chest was pretty chunky and his oxygen saturation levels were 94%.  (I know what this means because of Sammy.)  At that time they diagnosed him with pneumonia.  They also showed me retraction which is when the skin sucks in between the ribs because breathing is so labored. That was something new to look for in the future.  They sent us over to have two chest x-rays taken.  And then decided it wasn't pneumonia but bronchitis.  He is on an antibiotic and an inhaler.  By the time we did all this and went to the pharmacy it was after 9pm when we got home.  He was so cute putting the pedi mask over his face and carefully breathing six times like I asked him to.  He did get to sleep okay and did not wake until morning.
I gave him the inhaler again first thing this morning because he was coughing like crazy.  He seems to be better now and says he can breathe better.  He is allowed to go back to school because it is not contagious but I want him to get some more rest and meds first.  We have a follow up appt tomorrow morning.  If it wasn't for that rash I would not have known about the infection because he did not run a fever or complain at all.  He had just had his ear tube check up on Friday and that doctor did not notice anything unusual. 
TrackBack for this entry: