Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Hugging Trees | Main | Darn Machines »

Chapter One

When Tom died in September it was decided by his family that I would be named Executrix of his estate. When you die without a will or trust everything goes to probate. It took until mid December for the court to make it official. I took on the responsibility of handling all of the accounts, debts and property. The thing about most people who you owe money to is that they don't care if someone died. They just want their money. Because of the court delay I also couldn't access the life insurance payouts and therefore pay for things like his mortgage. Finally I was able to do so in January and made the payments two days before the house was supposed to go to foreclosure auction. Two weeks later I got a call at work from the property management company at Tom's townhouse. The pipes had frozen and burst in the third floor bathroom. I arrived to find the whole house totaled from the third floor down. I stood there in three inches of freezing water and watched the ceilings collapse. I spent the next three days with the demo company cleaning up and inventoring the contents. Thankfully most of the valuables and sentimental pieces had already been removed. Later it was determined that the furnace malfunctioned and so the heat wasn't working properly. I was able to ask the restoration company to save a few things including Tom's softball glove and ball. I thought that Keegan would want to put his hand inside it as he grew up. It took several more weeks to ready the property to be renovated and in the meantime I finally had a stroke of luck. My second cousin happened to live in NH and wanted to buy a house. I showed the property to her and her fiance and they liked the idea of being able to add their own touches to the renovation. Weeks went on with negotiating this with the insurance and property management folks and then I finally had a P & S drawn up and signed. I went twice last week to meet with the buyers and the contractor to finalize the selections and get everything set to close on Aug 30. Last night I got a call from my second cousin telling me they were not approved for financing and therefore unable to buy the house. What have I learned from all this? That you can do everything right and it still doesn't work. Sometimes crappy stuff just happens. So I called the contractor today and told him to cancel everything. I will meet with him next week, make my selections and then put it on the market. I don't really have any faith it will sell quickly because I'm still sitting in my townhouse that we've been trying to sell for ten months. What have I learned from all this? That you can survive and tolerate way more than you think you can. But I will be happy on the day that I never have to set foot in that house again.

TrackBack for this entry: