Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« The Morning After | Main | Technical Assistance »


Yesterday we had plans to see Les Miserables and my mom bought the tickets months ago. It turned out we had two extra at the last minute so we invited the Reilly's and they were able to meet us there. The weather was terrible and so traffic was bad on the way down. I also had bad directions which is sad considering I just been down to Boston the day before. The show was wonderful. We went out to dinner after with my parents and my cousins and the Reilly's went to see Sammy. I thought I had recovered from the lost sleep but I ran out of speed about 9pm. But I really wanted to get to know my cousins' new boyfriends so went out after and got some drinks. A slow snowy drive and we were home late.
This morning Jeff and I headed down to see Sammy. We were not able to do so for three hours. So we hung out with Jay and Erika's folks until we were called up. I was supposed to pickup Keegan by 2pm but I knew we'd never make it if we were going to stay to see Sammy. So I arranged for Tom to drop him at my parents and they took him with them to the home show. Where it turned out he had a ball.
Jeff and I got called up and Jay lead us to Sammy's room. There he was cuddled in Erika's lap exactly as it should be. Talk about your instant mother connection. She was completely wrapped up in him. I have been so emotional lately that I found myself having to hold back tears again. I did not hold him but I did get to touch his precious hair and stroke his cheek. (There is a picture of me with him on Erika's Flickr). We stayed for as long as we could. I also brought the package Allie sent to me for them. During a diaper change we got to see his little body with those arms and legs stretched out. He kept spreading his little monkey toes too. Then he was swaddled back up again. He needed a break and we needed to head back up to NH so we said good bye and left.
That is an impressive facility and clearly Sammy is getting the best care. But it so surreal to go there. I can only imagine what it is like for them.
Keep sending your thoughts and well wishes. I know they draw comfort from them.

TrackBack for this entry: