Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Southern By Proxy | Main | Cotter Time »

Crisp Weather

I just had a great weekend. On Friday I left work early to go to a teaparty at Keegan's daycare. It was fun to eat tiny sandwihces and juice with my son and his friends. When I was leaving they let me know that the biter had left the program. He had pounced on more kids the day before and sent another child to the doctor. I hope his parents get him the intervention he needs.
On Saturday Keegan and I slept in to 7:30 and then hung out until the stores opened. We got him two new pairs of shoes and then when to get an Autumn wreath for the front door. After lunch I attempted to get him to nap. After about 12 minutes of fussing he was out like a light. I actually had to wake him up for our playdate. We met up with one of his friends and they played with basketballs and then all over the equipment. I can't believe how brave and independent he has gotten. Then I took him down to spend the rest of the weekend with his dad.

On Sunday I went outlet shopping. I only live 25 minutes from this place and yet I had never been. I scored two pairs of fall shoes at great prices and bought Keegan a fake fish tank. He loves fish but I don't think we need real ones at this point. The fake aquarium is a saltwater reef and is so mesmerizing. I have never seen him sit still that long.
Last night I got him settled for bed but he wouldn't stay laying down. After 15 minutes I decided that he'd have to figure it out on his own. He fussed for another 20 minutes and then was asleep. This was the first time he has been able to go sleep by himself. He did wake up at 2:30 and I hugged him and tried to get him to go back down by himself. But he fussed on and off for an hour. That seemed excessive so I gave up and brought him to bed with me. I don't know if that was the right thing to do but at 3:30 you don't make the most reasonable choices. It's progress and that's going to have to do for now.
I realized that I really love where I'm living right now. It's my favorite place in NH and has great resources and tons of opportunities for Keegan.

PS Netfl*x movies I saw this weekend: "In Good Company" & "Diary of A Mad Black Woman"

TrackBack for this entry: