Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« You Ought Be In Pictures | Main | Let Me Count The Ways »

Chug-Chug, Woo-Woo

This week's lack of posting was duie to a visit by Tom's parents. I spent a sweaty Wed. and Thurs. cleaning the house before they arrived. Then on Fri. we ran around fixing the axle on our trailer and manged to squeeeze in lunch at the mall with Erika. She also brought the gifts Keegan and I had made for his grandpa, grammy and pappy (everyone has their own pet name). Erika and I had taken him to a paint your own pottery place last week to make stuff. I did do most of the painting and then we plastered a his blue handprint on each one. Too cute.
We also stopped by B*abies r Us because my MIL wanted to buy Keegan a highchair. She had never been to the store so we looked around and I showed her all the baby stuff they have out now. We both loved the exersaucer so we threw one of those in the cart too. Keegan absolutely loves it. Which is good because it took forever to assemble! One of my friends from the mom's group also gave me a good tip. P*ampers has a non-toxic spray you can put on their toys to disinfect them. It also comes in a wipe. It is so convenient to clean all his stuff this way since he puts everything in his mouth.
On Saturday we all went up Mount Washington on the cog railroad. It is very slow going but Keegan did great. Eventually the clacking along put him to sleep. Buy the time we got to the summit the visibility was nil. But that is the way it is with Mount Washington. You only get a few chances a year to get a good view. It actually creates it's own weather. So up top it was 40 degrees, rainy and windy. On the trip down they basically ride the brakes the whole time. On the drive home we were supposed to stop at our favorite barbeque place but it was Laconia B*ike Week and the place was overflowing. We stopped somewhere else instead.
All the busy days threw off what slight schedule Keegan actually had. So he wouldn't go to bed until late and that left me up at midnight to wash bottles and make formula and fold laundry. By yesterday I was completely wiped out. After Father's Day breakfast the in-law's headed home and we vegged on the couch the rest of the day. Keegan would fall asleep but then wake up crying. This was also the pattern last night before I got him down for good at 11:30. On the flipside he did sleep for ten hours, which is a definite record. I am just not sure if it is worth the price of total exhaustation for mommy and baby.

TrackBack for this entry: