Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Hold The Phone | Main | Fill Her Up »

37 Weeks (Again)

First of all thanks to everyone for your well wishes and support. I know some of you have been here since the beginning and can hardly believe we're almost there. Those of you who jumped in at the middle or more recently have continued to add to the tangible excitment that is buzzing in the air.

I am putting myself back at 37 weeks and going with the original due date of February 5. Peanut was growing ahead for so long I skipped a week. But now he is following his original due date and after yesterday I think it is better to stick closer to the safe side.

More details about yesterday:
When I had the first ultrasound I was on my back and felt tremendous pressure. We put a pillow under me but the pressure returned and just as the tech said," let me know if you get dizzy," I almost fainted. The weight of the uterus is just too much for the artery that runs behind it. This is why they tell you to stay off your back during the thrid trimester. After we finished and I got up my left leg was bothering me. It was so bad I couldn't sit down. That is when I figured it must be my sciatic nerve. It did work itself back out after I walked around for a while. I have renewed sympathy for anyone who deals with that on a daily basis!

More symptoms I forgot to mention:
My oily skin and hair came back from the first trimester. I guess there was another major hormone shift a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the rash lives on. I have been using the prescription corticosteroid cream from the dermatologist. At first it was working really well on my stomach and pretty well on my chest. Last week I picked up a totally different rash on my hands which the cream doesn't help. The worst part is at night when my hands swell and burn. I have taken to sleeping with a small ice pack on my hands. Since yesterday my stomach rash has changed from blotchy to spots and it burns again. I am guessing it is a reaction to either the ultrasound gel or the monitors because it in places where my original rash wasn't.
Showing once again how clueless I am, yesterday I did see on the monitor where I am having contractions and they are really mild. I have been having them all this time but didn't know. No pain just pressure which I thought was the baby.

Bedrest for today was tough. Only because I kept looking around the house at all the stuff I am dying to do. But I stuck to it as best I could and drank water constantly. Erika came by and brought me lunch and snacks. We took a million pictures of my belly. I am not photogenic, so bless her heart I'll be thrilled if I like any of them. Tom came home washed the dishes, cleaned the kitchen and made dinner. He also kept my water filter full. Later he served me cookies and two huge classes of milk.
Peanut was active today and pretty squirmy. I am curious for tomorrow's ultrasound to see if I have increased my amniotic fluid. But this time I will have my suitcase ready. My mama didn't raise no fool.

TrackBack for this entry: