Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Got Milk? | Main | Out & About »

32 Weeks

"By now, your baby probably weighs between 4 & 5 pounds and is about 19 inches long — no wonder it feels so crowded in there! Though his lungs won't be fully developed until just before birth, your little one is inhaling amniotic fluid to exercise his lungs and practice breathing. Some babies have a head of hair already; others have only a few wisps. Thick hair at birth doesn't necessarily mean thick hair later on, but children with fine hair in childhood usually have thinner hair in adulthood.
Moms, you're gaining a pound a week now, and roughly half of that goes right to your baby. In fact, he gains a third to half of his birthweight during the next seven weeks, fattening up for survival outside the womb. Thanks to these fatty deposits, his skin is getting plumper and healthier looking."

Holy moly 8 months along! I am getting more excited but still glad to have atleast 6 weeks before he comes. I still need to learn more and get organized. I get up to pee in the middle of the night about every 3-4 hours. I also get really thirsty so I am putting it back in as it comes out. I have been waking up very stuffy and with headaches. Sudafed and a humidifier aren't working. I got permission today to use vapor rub on my chest and throat. I have also been very tired all week. I can't tell if I am still recovering from the weekend or if this is just something I'll have to live with until delivery.
We got to tour labor & delivery tonight during childbirth class. It is so nice, cozy and quiet up there. A lullaby played letting us know that a baby had been born while we were walking around. Our instructor had us try all the equipment and poke around the rooms. Tom was very impressed with the jacuzzi tub. He looked like he was comtemplating how to get in himself.
We also learned about the next stage of labor and the worst part called transition. Apparently it can last 30 mins to 2 hours. But once you are through you get to push. This will probably be the point where I decide on an epidural or not. I will be thrilled if I get to this point without any meds. I am completely open to trying all the other comfort measures beforehand. But if hit a wall then I will consider some kind of meds. I just want to be realistic about what I can and cannot handle.
My belly is getting really hard and definitely bigger up top. My belly button hasn't popped out yet but also doesn't look normal. The rest of my skin is itchy and the cold weather this week isn't helping. Thank goodness I have an ample supply of smelly lotions to choose from. Peanut is as active as ever. His favorite activity is to wait until my bladder is full and then poke at it until I go pee. He's funny that way. Also he seems to be a late night and morning person. That is when I feel the most continuous action. He is probably wondering why the walls seem to be closing in on him. I am sure he is growing like a weed.

TrackBack for this entry: