Alisa. 37. New Hampshire. Married for almost three years to this wonderful, funny, smart guy. Previously married. Went through in-vitro fertilization to have my five year old magical son Keegan. Stepmother to the charming Isabelle (6). Gushingly in love with our baby boy Harper(1). Policy Wonk and dreaded bureaucrat. Lover of fine cuisine, honeybees, truly romantic moments and the underdog.
Curried Beef Short Ribs

Note: I found this was more realistically four servings.

Finishing this dish with lime zest and juice brightens its rich flavors.

Yield 6 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces ribs, 2/3 cup rice, and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)

2 teaspoons canola oil
2 pounds ...continue reading

view all my recipes

Design by emtwo

« Technology Hates Me | Main | Casting The Net »

The Whole Story Part II

It is time to update on our doctors visits last Monday. It always takes me a few days to absorb and recover from everything we go through there. In between our tests and appointments we stopped by the endocrinologist's. His nurse showed me how to give Tom an emergency shot in case he is hurt while we are away from medical treatment. We also got the prescription for the injection. I gotta tell you it felt weird carrying syringes in my purse. In all likelihood, we'll never have to use them.
We waited to see the doctor and he gave us the results of Tom's thyroid scan. He told that it showed that Tom has Graves' disease. Another autoimmune disease where the thyroid is over active. The good news is that it is very mild right now. We have three choices for treatment. 1. Surgery to remove the thyroid and then meds for life. 2. Swallow a radioactive pill that kills the thyroid and then meds for life. Or 3. Take medicine to treat the overactvity for a year for a 50% chance that it will send the Graves' into remission.
Tom chose the last option because we have nothing to lose. If the odds are on our side then we are doing awesome. If it doesn't help then we are still left with the first and second choices. He will start his new meds tomorrow. I am sure he is down about beating the odds twice with two rare endocrine diseases. I think he is waiting for the other shoe to drop. We have his CAT scan this Friday and then the testing should be over. This is to confirm that both of his adrenal glands are basically gone because of the Addison's.
The other appointments had to do with our infertility issues.

I had been wrestling with what to do next. I asked the urologist if we should wait to see if his sperm improves or move on to IVF. His urologist really weighed my question and finally said we should move on. He said we might get pregnant on our own before then but there are no guarantees about when or if his sperm will ever improve enough to conceive naturally. He then called up to see when we could get an appt., figuring they were probably booked pretty far up anyway. We lucked out with a cancellation and will be going for our consultation at the end of this month.
So of course since its me, I've been scouring the internet for info. I think I've learned all I can that way and will have to wait to discuss our particular situation with the doctors. I keep reminding myself that the most important thing is to have a child. Not how it is conceived. I am thankful we even have options. I never knew before about all the incredible advances. We are also so fortunate that our insurance coverage is so good. Massachussetts state law requires coverage for infertility and IVF. Otherwise it would cost us around $15,000 for each try. In fact we just signed a petition at RESOLVE supporting a House of Rep Act to require coverage in all fifty states. I can tell you that I never thought we would be in this situation. But I can't say I would have changed anything about the way we did things either. So we'll keep taking the next steps one at a time until we find a resolution we can live with.

TrackBack for this entry: